Drill Cool's Freshwater
The Original Mud Cooler
The Geo‑Cooler™ is the perfect solution for land based drilling with access to fresh water.
The Freshwater Geo‑Cooler™ is the industry standard for mud cooling needs in all HPHT and geothermal drilling areas of the world – both onshore and offshore. This proprietary mud cooler design incorporates the power and efficiency of a closed circuit cooling tower with the robust versatility of a DNV certified offshore ISO container – thus enhancing the mobility and flexibility of the drilling fluid temperature control system. Many of our customers have realized significant savings by sharing their Geo‑Coolers™ across onshore and offshore drilling programs within the same region.
Available in skid, container & trailer mounted models
Freshwater Geo‑Cooler™ Benefits
- Rugged design for months of maintenance free operation – even without a dedicated operator
- Excellent heat transfer efficiencies over the widest flow rates
- Proven reliability over thousands of installations
- Engineered for all drilling fluids (> 20 ppg fluid & > 20 mm diameter solids)
- 20′ offshore iso container, skid & trailer mounted models available – Modular design ships anywhere in the world (land, sea or air – the bear goes everywhere)
- Staged across the globe – ready for immediate mobilization
Heavy Fluids Design
High Solids COntent
800 GPM / 3028 LPM
3 GPM / 11.3 LPM
480VAC / 3ph /60Hz
L x W x H
20′ x 8′ x 8′6″
6.1m x 2.4m x 2.6m
22,000LBS / 9,797KG
- Fresh Water Nominal Flow Rate: 500 gpm (1893 lpm)
- Fresh Water Nominal Operating Pressure: 20 psi (1.4 bar)
- Fresh Water Volume: 900 gal / 21.4 bbl (3407 L)
- Fresh Water Consumption Rate: 6 gpm (22.7 lpm)
- Fresh Water Connection: 1″ NPT Twist Lock Connection
- Air Flow Rate: 60,000 cfm (1700 m3/min)
- Drilling Fluid Nominal Flow Rate: 800 gpm (3028 lpm)
- Drilling Fluid Max Operating Pressure: 30 psi (2.1 bar)
- Drilling Fluid Nominal Pressure Drop: 20 psi (1.4 bar)
- Drilling Fluid Inlet / Outlet Connection: 6” Grooved (Victaulic Style)
- Drilling Fluid Volume: 600 gal / 14.2 bbl (2,271 L)
Note: The indicated volumes do not include any supporting equipment such as piping & pumps.
- Length: 20′-0″ (6.10 m)
- Width: 8′-0″ (2.44 m)
- Height: 8′-6″ (2.6 m)
- Power: 480 VAC, 3 phase, 60 hz
- Current: 100 amps
- Shipping Weight*: 22,000 lb (9,979 kg)
- Operating Weight**: 36,500 lb (16,556 kg)
- Mud Pump Assembly: 1,800 lb (816 kg)
*Shipping weight is dry. Weight includes piping & mud pump.
**Operating weight assumes 18 ppg drilling fluid & 7,500 lb (3,401 kg) water weight.
More about the Geo‑Cooler™
With more than 35 years of dedicated mud cooling experience in the Oil & Gas and Geothermal Drilling Industry, Drill Cool Systems is the only company that can offer the innovation, expertise, engineering, and equipment required on the most critical and difficult high temperature wells.
The first mud cooler was successfully developed and deployed by the founder of Drill Cool Systems for the Geothermal Industry in the late 1970s. The benefits of the mud cooler to the rig and associated equipment quickly spread to the Oil & Gas Industry especially in the early HPHT gas wells in the Gulf of Mexico. The design quickly evolved to the first Geo‑Cooler™ that was purpose built by Drill Cool Systems for the offshore industry. The 20ft Freshwater Geo‑Cooler quickly grew as the industry standard for mud cooling needs throughout the Gulf of Mexico, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Australia and Japan along with other high temperature areas of the world.
The Geo‑Cooler™ has continuously served the international high temperature drilling industry for more than 20 years. The ultra-portability, robustness, and flexibility of these drilling fluid temperature control systems continue to prove a valuable essential component of any onshore or offshore drilling program.More about Drill Cool
Geo‑Cooler™ Case Studies
Drill cool systems has successfully bridged that chasm between risk characterization, innovation and application by coupling their vast expertise in high temperature drilling and heat transfer with the ability to listen, analyze, and solve their customers’ high temperature problems that are unique to each well.
These Well Temperature Control™ solutions have helped mitigate our customer’s temperature related risks and have contributed to the success of these - time and time again. Please review some of our case studies.View Geo-Cooler™ Case Study
High Temperature Drilling Operations
Well Temperature Control™ vs Conventional Drilling
As wells grow in complexity, the need to characterize the temperature, pressure and energy within the drilling system also increases. Parameters such as hole size, flow rate, drilling fluid type, and geothermal gradient all can have a direct thermal impact on the well being drilled and affect your ability to safely and successfully complete the well.
Geo‑Cooler™ Installation Photos
Drill Cool's Dry Air Geo‑Cooler™
No water? No Problem
Using air as a cooling medium, the Dry Air Geo‑Cooler uses a closed loop of heat transfer fluid to effectively reduce drilling fluid temperatures.
The Dry Air Geo‑Cooler is an economical solution for cooling drilling fluids on land based well sites that have limited access to freshwater. The Dry Air Geo‑Cooler consists of three modules: a mud cooler module, an air cooler module & a filter module. The mud cooler module utilizes a wide gap titanium plate heat exchanger with a built-in backflush system for easy cleaning.
Dry Air Geo‑Cooler™ Features
- Compatible with all types of weighted drilling fluid (20+ppg)
- Excellent exchanger efficiencies over the widest temperature range -scalable system can be configured to meet your cooling requirements
- Ultra wide gap exchanger design compatible with high solid content drilling fluid passage of solids up to 20mm
- Enhanced turbulence and proprietary exchanger design provide for months of maintenance free operation – even without a dedicated operator
- No water consumption
- Advanced process monitoring available on all operating conditions including temperature, pressure, flow and heat transfer rate.
Max Ambient Temp
131°F / 55°C
No H2O required
Max Flow Rate
1200 gpm (4542 lpm)
460 VAC / 60Hz 250 AMPS
15′ x 30′
(4.6m x 9.1m)
45,000LBS / 20,411KG
Drilling Fluid Parameters
- Drilling Fluid Maximum Flow Rate: 1200 gpm (4542 lpm)
- Drilling Fluid Maximum Pressure: 150 psi (10 bar)
- Drilling Fluid Inlet / Outlet Connection: 6″ Grooved (Victaulic Style)
- Drilling Fluid Maximum Temperature: 250°F (120°C)
- Drilling Fluid Types: WBM, OBM & Synthetic OBM
- Max Drilling Fluid Properties: 18 ppg
Air Cooler Specifications
- Maximum ambient operation temperature: 131°F (55°C)
- Glycol Tank Volume (per module): 528 gal (2000 L)
- Power: 400-460 VAC, 50/60 Hz (Air Cooler Module)
- Current: 120 amps (per Air Cooler Module)
Mud Cooler Module
Length: 22′ 6″ (6.9m), Width: 5′ (1.5m), Height: 8′ 3″ (2.5m)
Air Cooler Module
Length: 19′ 11″ (6.1m), Width: 8′ (2.4m), Height: 9′ (2.8m)
Length: 6′ (1.9m), Width: 3′ 8″ (1.1m), Height: 3′ 4″ (1.0m)
- Mud Cooler Module Shipping Weight*: 18,739 lb (8,500 kg)
- Air Cooler Module Shipping Weight*: 8,818 lb (4,000 kg)
- Filter Module Shipping Weight*: 2,646 lb (1,200 kg)
*Shipping weight is dry. Weight includes piping & mud pump.
More about the Dry Air Geo‑Cooler™
The Dry Air Geo‑Cooler™ is an economical solution for cooling drilling fluids on land based well sites that have limited access to freshwater. Using air as a cooling medium, the Dry Air Geo‑Cooler™ uses a closed loop of heat transfer fluid to effectively reduce drilling fluid temperatures. The Dry Air Geo‑Cooler™ consists of three modules: a mud cooler module, an air cooler module & a filter module. The mud cooler module utilizes a wide gap titanium plate heat exchanger with a built-in backflush system for easy cleaning. The DRY AIR Geo‑Cooler is scalable and can be configured to meet the specific mud cooling requirements by adjusting the number of cooling units. The Geo‑Cooler can be used in short & long-term wells and does not require an onsite operator. The Dry Air Geo‑Cooler is DNV 2.7-1 certified and can be shipped anywhere in the world.
Dry Air Geo-Cooler Installation Photos
“We utilize Drill Cool’s mud coolers in our drilling operations in many of our fields. The coolers main benefit for us is safety, by reducing the exposure to personnel of high temperature fluids. Additionally, we are able to reduce our mud cost by eliminating any dilution needed for temperature control.”
Thanks,Steven Heitzman, Drilling Engineer